One of the largest and most comprehensive museums in Türkiye, Istanbul Museum of Painting and Sculpture, welcomes thousands of visitors, offering a journey through the 150-year history of painting and Turkish sculpture.
Opened in September with the participation of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, the museum has around 12,000 works of art in its collection, including paintings, calligraphy, ceramics, icons and an installation, and will be permanently open to art lovers. ‘art. It was opened as the first museum of fine arts in Türkiye in 1937 in the apartment of the heir apparent in Dolmabahçe Palace by the orders of the founder of the republic Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, with affiliation to the Academy of Fine Arts. -arts of Istanbul, the current Mimar Sinan University of Fine Arts.
The collection of the Museum of Painting and Sculpture in Istanbul, carefully preserved by the Mimar Sinan University of Fine Arts since 1937, reflects the visual memory of the period of Westernization of Ottoman art, as well as the modernization and the modernism of the Turkish republic.
Therefore, the permanent exhibition of the museum presents as many works as possible to make available all the previously unseen aspects of a rich and precious history. The museum’s collection, which covers the visual past of Turkish art, will be a benchmark for plastic arts in Turkey.
The collection started with the Elvah-ı Nakşiye, which loosely refers to the “collection of paintings” and grew with the addition of nearly 300 works collected from ministries and government offices in the period, as well as works taken from Dolmabahçe Palace, Topkapı Palace Museum and 50 Years of Turkish Painting Exhibition. Thanks to purchases and donations acquired over the years, the museum’s collection currently contains the most outstanding examples of Turkish art.
Since the apartment of the heir apparent was a historical building, the Turkish General Assembly Council decided to empty the building in 2012 for renovation, and the collection was transferred to the customs warehouse (Antrepo) n °5 at Fındıklı in Istanbul. The building of the customs warehouse, a monument of modern architecture attributed to the Mimar Sinan University of Fine Arts, which was renovated by the architect Emre Arolat, has been transformed into a modern place for the museum.
Curators of the permanent exhibition are Dr. Burcu Pervanoğlu and Dr. Ayşe Köksal with Yeşim Demir Pröhl as the designer of the exhibition. The exhibition has a total of 749 works of art, including 663 paintings and 85 sculptures, and the pieces have been arranged in 34 exhibition halls in thematic and chronological order, from the first floor to the third floor.
The first floor of the permanent exhibition begins with selections on genres such as “Painting from Photography”, “Interpretation of Nature in Ottoman Painting”, “Ottoman Figure Painting”, “Still Life in Painting Ottoman Empire”, “The Academy of Fine Arts for Women and its First Students”, “The 1914 Generation: Portraits and Self-Portraits”, “The 1914 Generation’s Approach to Landscape”, “Late Cubism and Art deco at the beginning of the Turkish Republic” and ends with “The sculpture of the republican era”.
On the second floor, the exhibition continues with modernist pieces.
The exhibition continues on the third floor with “Figurative Trends 1950-1970”, “Satire in Turkish Art since the 1960s”, “Neşet Günal and Nedim Günsür”, “The 1968 Generation”, “In Search of ‘alternatives’, ‘Painting in the 1970s’ and ‘Art since the 1980s’.
In addition to the permanent exhibition, Türkiye’s largest “Osman Hamdi Bey” collection, with 17 paintings as well as documents, certificates, diplomas and badges curated by Dr. Zeynep Inankur, is on display in Exhibition Hall 301 at third floor. . The last exhibition halls on the third floor bring together the “Calligraphy Collection of the Academy of Fine Arts” with the “Calligraphic Trends” in the modernist genre of Turkish painting.
The museum can be visited every day except Monday.